A glimpse into my world... When you first enter it might appear ordinary, simple, normal. Similar to any other life being led with the ordinary happenings of everyday life. Morning breakfast, kids to school, do the chores, walk the dogs, dinnertime, sleep...then ready to do it all over again.... But wait! In between the chores of the day I thought I heard a tra la la - or was it the tapping of a soft shoe. From dropping off the kids at school was that Mom wearing a leotard (God, I hope she doesn't get out of the car!) where is she going? Class? Audition? Yes and Yes! This mom is a Singer/Actor/Performer and all that goes with the territory! Katherine Dickson. That's my name and for as long as I can remember I have been singing and acting. Growing up in NYC gave me the opportunity to explore music and theater from an early age so I've always known that I would have these in my life one way or another. It truly is the one thing I love doing more than anything! (Aside from my kids that is)! You see, the thing is, in my life I've gone off and done other things...I've been a NYC Aux Police Officer, I've worked in Insurance, in the Medical Field, in Business and Real Estate and although I've had success in all my endeavors I can't say they've made me truly happy. Then in ...2001, I suffered a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury). It changed my life. It saved my life. Most people don't realize how fragile life is or how short our time on earth truly is until you are faced with your own mortality. The most simple of tasks are no longer taken for granted; those morning breakfasts or taking your kids to school seem like monumental moments. Reaching your true potential is no longer a dream or a wish but your purpose and it must be fulfilled. Recovery has been hard. Still is. Every day brings new challenges. Losing things you've always had, like; balance, eyesight, good memory are pretty tough to do without all of a sudden. But you keep going, living, climbing uphill. Becoming who I am meant to be is a journey that I embrace fully with...maybe to be totally honest, a lot of - fear. The statistics show that only 1 out of 11,000 will become "successful" in this "acting" industry. I wonder how they measured success? I choose to define my own success, not by fame; I may not get that. But my kind of success is measured in being truthful to myself and to others as I attempt to do good work. So, now you know a little bit about me. At closer range you may determine that my world is not so complex. But for me it's a maze full of unique adventures that I navigate daily. No day is truly regular and I am as far from your 'typical' actor/singer as you can get. However through this blog I hope to fill in the gaps to any questions you may have. We can talk about our stories, my story; your story. We can captivate audiences and raise awareness through its humanity; because of its reality. We can share the lessons learned and give courage. Help someone else not to give up; because we are here to show support and love. Life is difficult. But no goal is unreachable. Have I piqued your interest? ©GuapaFilms™

No comments:

Post a Comment

Last week I posted on my FB that my relationship with social media was changing. Four year ago, I made a vow to step back from social platfo...